The OBS's Jurisdiction
The OBS handles complaints in terms of the Terms
of Reference and the Operational Procedures.
Which banks are participants?
Only banks that are members of the Banking Association are bound by
our rules. Check whether your bank is a participant in the Ombudsman's
Who can complain to us?
Any bank customer may lodge a complaint against his or her bank with
the OBS, provided the OBS has jurisdiction.
Entities such as companies, corporations, partnerships and trusts may
lodge a complaint if the person making the complaint is authorised to do so and the annual turnover of the business or
group of businesses is R10 million or less per year.
Complaints we can handle
The OBS can assist you only if your complaint:
Complaints we cannot handle
- relates to products or services provided by the bank;
- involves a claim of R2 million or less;
- arose within the past three years;
- the bank concerned is a member of the Banking Association.
We cannot assist if your complaint involves:
- a bank's commercial decision about lending or credit, interest
rates or bank charges, unless there has been maladministration;
- a matter that would more appropriately be dealt with by a court of
law or another dispute resolving process;
- a matter which is or has been the subject of litigation, subject
to certain exceptions.
You may contact us to
obtain more information.